Wednesday, February 21, 2018

February 19, 2018--Good Times Abound

To the amazing woman I am honored to call my mother,

Happy Valentine’s Day!! We delivered some chocolate to people and also gave out hand warmers and Law of Chastity pamphlets, haha. At first I thought it would just be funny but it actually turned out to be a really solid dendo approach. We promised a few middle and high schoolers that if they followed the principles in the pamphlet that they would have more self-control, better relationships and someday a happy marriage and family! Commandments, even the ones that are awkward to talk about, really do bring huge blessings into our lives.

Can’t believe Taylor is 22! And Dad is getting up there too...time flies! Good thing I’ll never get old.

We met a Filipino man on Sunday, he was so great!! His English was not that great, but it actually worked out perfectly—I asked, “do you go to church?” Trying to get a feel for his religious background. Slightly misunderstanding my question, he responded, “well, I’m busy today. But I can probably go next week! What time?” So now we have a Filipino investigator and we are studying the lesson pamphlets in Tagalog, haha. His wife and kids still live in the Philipines and he just moved here a few months ago, so we are honored to be among his first friends here in Japan!

We met a super solid family called the U kazoku. We met the Dad housing and gave him a pamphlet, he seemed mildly interested. When we went to follow up the next week, the 2 little girls were playing outside in the snow, so we got to meet them and their mom! The mom actually saw the pamphlet we gave them and read a little bit of it! We still don’t know them super well but we are hoping things will go well with them!

There was a nice blizzard this week, the snow was coming horizontally and the wind was blowing it up off the ground so it was coming from literally all directions, haha. But we use went out and dendoed like normal. A lot of people who answered their door just looked at us like we were crazy and slammed the door, some more compassionate ones let us in or gave us hand warmers. Met some great new people who seem to have a lot of potential!

We had interviews with President yesterday. Basically he was like, “We really need to see some real growth here in Towada. That’s why I sent you here. So be humble and go do your thing!” I asked him for advice on lots of different things, and he was just said “honestly, I don’t know. You’ve been here longer than I have, I think you already have all the skills you need. Just have faith and love the people.” The biggest thing I learned from the interview was that I have been overthinking things lately. We are really trying to find out the Lord’s will for Towada, and I have been studying and praying and studying and praying trying to find out what we are missing and what we can do better. One night, I opened my scriptures to the New Testament where Jesus counsels Martha—“thou art careful and troubled about many things—but one thing is needful.” The one thing needful for us as missionaries is to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Not just to teach it, but to live it. I think sometimes we get so caught up in trying to find the best ways to find and teach that we forget the simplicity of our message. “Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words.” Who we are is the message. We can’t bring people to Christ is we are not Christ-like ourselves. So, I am putting forth a renewed effort to really live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To really represent Him, to have a perfect love for others. As President Sekiguchi taught me, “the real miracle is when people’s hearts change. Even God can’t force people’s hearts to change. Their hearts will change when they choose to open them to the spirit—and they will choose to open them because of the love they have for you. They will love you if you love them.”

I love the Japanese people! I love being here in Towada with such great people. I love dendo!!

And I love you!!!!
XOXOxoxooxXOXOXOxoOXOxoxOXOXO
パスケット長老
Elder Paskett



Valentine's Day Dendo


Shokujikai at Sister T's house

Indo Curry ft coconut naan

No comments:

Post a Comment