Monday, November 28, 2016

November 28, 2016--Happy Thanksgiving!

Sounds like Thanksgiving was way fun!! Glad you guys had fun in the sun. :) And holy cow those pies sound amazing. That is good you got to spend time both with cousins and with the Mitanis! And sounds like the Grand Canyon was awesome too!! My Thanksgiving here was probably the most uneventful Thanksgiving of my life so far, basically just a normal Thursday. I actually forgot that it was Thanksgiving until around 7 in the evening. When we visited J Kyoudai that night he made us some Misoshiro, so even though it was a coincidence I considered it my Thanksgiving celebration.

It's been a good week! Last Monday, we tried to visit M san, but he wasn't home--just his wife was. But we talked with her for a little bit, and it turns out she is a less-active member! They are now a part-member family instead of potential investigators. But for some reason, her records never came to Aomori. She has been less active since before she came to Aomori, so that's probably why. She doesn't seem interested in coming back to church right now, but her husband seems interested in learning, so the way to get her to come back might be through him.

On Tuesday we had splits, and the timing was actually terrible because we had two first lessons with two new investigators that day! I was sad to miss those. We finally had an appointment with WR, a guy that Hancock Choro and I found back in August, but he went to the hospital and just got out this week. Then we had a lesson with an investigator, K san that Murakami Choro and I found just on MondaySo I was super excited because we were having two lessons with two new investigators that I helped find, and then because of splits I had to work in the ZL's area instead. That was disappointing, but Murai Choro and I had a good day of finding. The other Elders said the lessons went well, but they didn't set up a return appointment for either...so we haven't been able to meet with them again yet. Hopefully we will this week though!

Mom, I made a very important decision this week that was a huge step for me in my life--I really wanted to buy some fruit, but it's way expensive here, and I realized that if I bought the fruit, I wouldn't have enough money for ice cream. So I bought the fruit. A bunch of bananas. Instead of ice cream. I guess I'm a real man now. So I started the week thinking I just wouldn't have any ice cream, but then Murase Kaicho took the Elders to a tabehodai pizza place (the same one where I had the waffle taco) so I had a waffle stack with a mountain of soft serve ice cream on top, all soaked in hot chocolate. And french fries on the side. Heavenly Father is looking out for me.

We had a few good lessons with R, he is really getting integrated into the branch. We were able to go to the normal Sunday School class and leave him with some member friends in Gospel Principles, which I actually think is better than us hovering over him all of church. We had a lesson on Wednesday before Eikaiwa, and one of the students, M, came to Eikaiwa two hours early. He is retired so he has a lot of free time, and he is usually there 30 minutes early, but this was the first time he was 2 hours early. Normally, even we wouldn't be at the church that early. But, since we were having a lesson with R, we were, and we asked if he would like to join us! He accepted, so we had the very unique opportunity of teaching the Plan of Salvation to both an RC and a PI at the same time. I was trying really hard to get M interested, his wife passed away in the last couple years, so I talked a lot about eternal families and how we can see our loves ones again after this life. I'm not sure if him showing up crazy early to class was a coincidence or a miracle, but we made the best of it! Hopefully his interest is at least piqued.

As far as the Christmas thing, it definitely feels like Christmas here! I don't if it's just because Aomori is a big city or if things have changed a lot since you were in Japan, but since the day after Halloween, everything has been Christmas. All the stores are playing Christmas music (always familiar, English songs too), and the conbis too, even a lot of houses have Christmas decorations. We're doing the #lighttheworld calendar! I'm way excited. They even got us some in English, so that was nice. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do all of the days with our missionary schedule, but we'll try. It may be that most days end up as a  "Jesus got baptized, and so can you" day :)

Thanks for the email and for all you do!!! Love you so much Mamasama!!!
XOXOXOXoxoxXOxoxoxoxXOxxoxoxoxOoxoxOXXOxoxxxoxoxoxoxoxOXXOxOxoXOXOXxoOXOXOXoxoxoxoxOXXOxxoxoxoXOXXoxoxXOxXOXOXxoXOXXOxxoxoxoxOXOXxoxoxo
パスケット長老
Elder Paskett


The snow on Thursday

"Curry" I made from scratch! And without a recipe too. It was kind
of weird. Not terrible though.

The "snow" on Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment