Friday, November 11, 2016

November 7, 2016--Gengo Immersion

Gengo immersion has had mixed kekka. It's muzukashii because it doesn't really feel like I'm learning a whole lot very quickly, but I probably am. Like any kind of growth I guess, it's just hard to see it happen little by little. But I have been learning some useful phrases that Murakami Choro uses a lot, so that has been good. On the other hand, I still feel like I don't know him super well as a person. He doesn't really like English, usually doesn't use his language study time, which means our conversations are usually 100% Japanese. Which, again, is good for my language but not necessarily good for our relationship. Not that we have a bad relationship, just that it is taking a lot longer to get to know him that it did with an English-speaking companion.

The food is pretty much what I expected--on a day-to-day basis we don't eat anything too weird. Lots of rice, and stir fry, and chicken. Lots of curry too. I was definitely shocked the first time I went to a grocery store. There is so much crazy stuff. But as far as what we actually eat in the apartment, most of it is pretty normal.

Things with R are going so well! He had his baptismal interview yesterday and he passed! So we are good for this week on Saturday!!  We had a scare last Saturday though--apparently he had a pack of cigarettes in his pocket during our lesson (I didn't see them but Murakami Choro and Ebina Kyoudai both said they saw them), so after we were worried that he either didn't understand or just wasn't keeping the word of wisdom. Since neither of them wanted to draw attention to it during the lesson, we decided Sunday morning we would go over the word of wisdom again. Our lesson Sunday morning ended up starting 30 minutes late, so we were hurrying to get done before church started. It turned out that he was totally fine, I guess he carried around a pack of cigarettes after
work so that when people offered him a cigarette he could just say no because he already has some. So we talked a little bit about how it's good to let other people know what your standards are, and that people will respect them if you are firm in your beliefs. So that was a huge relief!!

After that, we had to rush to get him in an interview with the ZLs, and then decided on a time for the baptism with the branch president probably 10 minutes before sacrament meeting started. But he announced it in Sacrament meeting, so we should have a good turnout with the branch members, and everything is looking good for this Saturday!!

We visited T Kyoudai again, and we invited him to attend R's baptism. I was thinking that we really need him to come, because it would remind him of his own baptism and also help him meet the branch, so it could be a huge help in re-activating him. I had an idea to invite him to give a short talk at the baptismal service, to make sure that he comes, and also so that he feels like we need him, and knows we trust him. So we extended the invitation and at first he said that he wasnt sure if he was a good enough person, but we reassured him of our confidence in him and he said that if he could make it, he would do it. So I thought that was a good idea, but the branch mission leader was a little alarmed, saying that T Kyoudai hasn't been to church a single time since he moved to Aomori, and he's never met T Kyoudai before, and neither has R, and he doesn't want him to make R's baptism less spiritual! So that kind of made me second guess myself, made me wonder if it was a mistake to invite him to give a talk? But I feel like if we want him to become active, we need to not treat him like a liability, and emphasize that the branch needs him, rather than just the other way around. But at the same time, the branch mission leader is kind of in charge of the baptismal service and I probably should have cleared the idea by him first... So I'm not totally sure what will happen there, but we will probably end up taking Ebina Kyoudai (the branch mission leader) to meet T and they can talk with each other about how to make sure that R's baptism is a spiritual experience.

We also had zone conference this week which meant I got to go on splits with Nathan Choro! That's always a fun time. I love hanging out with him. Unfortunately, Livermore Choro's is no longer companions with a DL so he didn't get to come on the non-DL splits during the DL meeting.

Today we went to a fresh fish market called Nokkedon! The fish is so fresh, and it's all raw. It's set up so you can try a bunch of different fishes. Some of the fish are so fresh, they are still alive until you order them. When you order it, they grab it out of the tank it's swimming in, cut it up, and put it on some rice. So fresh!! I tried not to think about it too hard. I tried some whale and octopus, whale is actually not super good. And octopus us good but only if it's in really small pieces because it's impossible to chew. Right after the fresh fish market we went to an aquarium (I know, I know...) and it was way fun. It was our district p-day so it was with all 6 missionaries. We saw sea turtles and dolphins and penguins and basically every fish from Finding Nemo.

So that's been my week! Sounds like you have had an exciting week too! So glad Grayson bore his testimony, that's way cool! He is really growing up too fast. And glad you had a fun time playing ultimate and watching Taylor beat the old man at the half marathon!

Thanks for the email, I love you!!!
パスケット長老
Elder Paskett

nokkedon!

nokkedon!
from the Halloween party last week! Its a little blurry,
but i dressed up as a missionary wearing a wig

this was a special meal I made called "use the very last scraps of
whatever type of food is left in our apartment the day before grocery
shopping"-stir fry. It actually wasnt bad.


Zone Training Meeting




No comments:

Post a Comment